Thursday, February 11, 2010

Living 6 feet underground - Cu Chi Tunnels, Vietnam


One of the meeting rooms used by the Vietnamese soldiers.

I cannot believe that the Vietnamese lived underground for so many years during the war, but if it's only way for you to survive, then I guess you can't afford a little luxury.

The meeting room above is only 5 feet high. If you're any taller than that, you have to stoop down just to fit in.



Despite living underground, you'll be surprised by the availability of amenities such as clinics, dining rooms, sleeping quarters and kitchens.

Yes, they do have kitchens and you ask what they do about the smoke? They've also dug a smoke tunnel for the smoke to come out to the surface. Now to avoid giving away their position, the smoke tunnel is designed in a way that the smoke comes out from a hole far far away from the actual kitchen.


This is me duck-walking (walking while squatting) my way through the tunnel.

Take note that I am 5' 10" so this was very difficult for me. I may be smiling here but after a while, my legs started to cramp. That scared me a lot because I was worried I couldn't come out from the hole!

A warning to those who are claustrophobic: leave the tunnels to the adventurous people.


.. to be continued..
--
Ps. You can follow Adventure Travel Asia on Facebook!
PPS. Get email updates here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment